Advertisement

Sunday, June 5, 2016

B. Good Nashua, NH

Toasted Almond and Ginger Bowl
A lot has happened in the three weeks since my last post. For starters, I am now gainfully employed! I have been working steadily since May 16th, learning the ins and outs of my new job. After a 4-day weekend, I'll be receiving training in a new area. I'm eager to learn new skills and to become a valued member of my new team.

In addition to getting acclimated to my newest surroundings, much of our time has been devoted to family events. My paternal grandmother had her 80th birthday. I was able to see cousins and other relatives I haven't seen in years. We've spent as much time as possible with my brother and his newly growing family as well. And yesterday was one of my cousin's bridal shower. A lot of stuff happening, to say the least.

Amidst all of this excitement, Chris and I have managed to find a new favorite eatery in Nashua, New Hampshire. Many, many months ago, I began lurking on Instagram and found a lot of vegans posting pictures from this place called
b. good. It seemed to be a cool place with a neat philosophy so after we brought home a couple of ticks after our trip to Odiorne Point we went to EMS in Nashua and made a stop to eat beforehand.
Our first experience at b. good was unfortunately NOT GOOD. While the food tasted great it took over 30 minutes to come out and all we got were veggie burgers! It seemed like only one cook was on staff at the time, but still. For a restaurant that prides itself on serving healthy food FAST they didn't live up to our expectations on the FAST part.

So, the burger patty itself. I liked it. You'll notice in the photo that it's made with rice, beans, and veggies. It has a bit of a spicy kick to it. One or two times a piece would be squashed out from within the confines of the bun and land on my plate, but that didn't affect my experience a whole lot. The whole wheat bun wasn't so wheaty that it overpowered the flavor of everything else (often a problem with whole wheat). And the avocado was super ripe and nutty and just lovely. Also pictured are their fries. They are on the softer side rather than crisp but I quite enjoyed them.

Veggie Burger

And despite the wait I had a very positive first impression of the establishment. The staff are knowledgeable about the ingredients. But if they don't know the answer to your question, a hardcover book with a bible full of ingredients lists sets right there at the register for everyone to read. You can find the same information on their website. That is downright stellar, especially for a person with ethical or allergy restrictions. I opted to go a little ordinary that day by only topping my burger with avocado. Chris, meanwhile, had it made Buffalo style complete with carrot slaw and tangy sauce. All vegan.

Spicy Avocado and Lime Bowl
Today, the two of us ventured into Nashua just for funsies! The weather put a damper (literally) on our plans to hike a trail or two, so we had lunch at b. good before spending some time at Barnes & Noble and Trader Joe's. Wanting to try something new, I carefully mulled over my choices and decided on the Toasted Almond and Ginger bowl. Meanwhile, Chris ordered the Spicy Avocado and Lime bowl, holding the queso fresco. We both added grilled tofu.

I absolutely LOVED my bowl. It really was WICKED GOOD. When they say toasted almonds they mean it. Also, the ginger soy sauce had sriracha in it. For me, it packed a nice punch. But the whole thing was delicious. It even had some enoki mushrooms on it (another new ingredient for me). Spicy, flavorful, and super nutritious, what with all that kale, those carrots, and a heap of quinoa. I paired mine with a glass of rosemary lemonade. I couldn't taste the rosemary, per se, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Chris also appreciated the variety of vegetables in her bowl. Corn, cherry tomatoes, carrots, kale, green beans, black beans, and so much more. She also LOVED the sauce it was topped with. And her beet lemonade was neither too earthy nor too sweet. Yum!

While you get a lot of healthy, delicious food, it will set you back a decent amount. Our bill for two bowls with the added tofu and two drinks was over $31. Yikes! But it certainly is a nice place to visit for a special meal, especially in New Hampshire where vegan options are slim.

If you're vegan and have heard bad things about this place suggest looking into seeing whether or not that review was given based on a burger order. I have seen a LOT of bad reviews where the customers go with the burger and are disappointed. No, it's not like a veggie patty from Morningstar Farms or Gardein where it tastes like meat or a pizza; it's a whole food patty made with actual food. This is quite possibly the most vegan friendly, non-vegetarian restaurant in southern New Hampshire. Be adventurous while you're there. You might actually like it!

In addition to the location in Nashua, New Hampshire, b. good eateries are found in Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, and more. I also noticed while leaving the restaurant that they have raised beds of kale they feed you with! Apparently, they have also set up a farm in a shipping container under I-93 in Boston that produces 50 lbs. of food for the restaurant each week.




To find a location near you, visit their website. The Nashua, New Hampshire eatery is located at 219 Daniel Webster Highway. Hours are Monday through Saturday, 11am to 9pm and Sunday, 11am to 8pm. Online ordering is also available!

No comments: