Monday, August 22, 2016

Grilled Corn & Veggie Burger Burrito


Last Wednesday, I fired up the grill and cooked my wife and I both homemade veggie burgers and grilled corn. It was the first time we grilled in our new house. It took a lot of time and effort but I enjoyed every minute of it!

Chris left on Friday morning to be with family. She is still there as I write this. I don't feel like it is my place to talk about what she's going through in a blog post, but needless to say times are tough for her at the moment. 

The two of us do practically everything together. For her to be away for such a long time is rare. It has happened but not for years. It is disorienting for me! I wish I could be there to help her cope with what is happening...

Needless to say, her departure was unexpected. And it left me with a leftovers from our grilling experience. Instead of having the last veggie patty in the same fashion as the two other times before, I decided to dress it up a bit.

Recycling leftovers is one of my favorite things to do! I abhor throwing out food that went bad just because I didn't heat it back up. So, I took what I had and I made something new with it. And it was SO GOOD. The fresh corn still popped with juiciness and a crunch, the sauteed onion and jalapeno gave it added flavors, and the avocado... MMM!

So, let's check out the recipe.




GRILLED CORN & VEGGIE BURGER BURRITO


Ingredients
1 ear of grilled corn (for instructions, see above link)
1/2 a small yellow onion, diced
1/2 a small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
Olive oil
Salt
Paprika
1 large tortilla or wrap
Lettuce
1/4 of an avocado, chopped into small pieces

Directions
To begin, warm the oil over medium-high heat in a pan. Add the chopped onion and jalapeno. Sprinkle with a little bit of salt. Cook until the onion begins to show some char. Cut the corn from the cob as this is taking place. Add the corn to the onion jalapeno mixture. Sprinkle with paprika thoroughly. Mix well and cook until nice and hot.

Meanwhile, set the lettuce up inside of the tortilla. When finished, pour the corn mixture on top. Add the diced avocado.

Warm the veggie burger patty in the same pan, if desired, or microwave it until heated through. Slice into a few pieces, or crumble it throughout the center of the wrap.

Fold the bottom of the wrap up, then roll it closed. Viola! Absolute bliss.

Makes 1 burrito.

Recycling leftovers is a great money and food saving technique. Try this recipe with other veggie burgers or meat alternatives, too!

No comments: