Advertisement

Friday, September 9, 2016

No Bake Nut Butter Pie



I just made the MOST. Delicious. THING. Ever!

I have seen many an icebox pie recipe in my day. The last one I made was so tasty, but it required so many steps... and an entire cup of agave nectar! Yes, it was a tad rich.

So, what was a girl to do? Well, she created a better alternative.

What's great about this recipe is that it will be extremely easy to alter. In fact, I used things I already had in my pantry in order to make it. No special trips to the store. I rummaged around, tasted as I went, and in 2 hours I found myself indulging in chocolatey, nutty goodness.

For this recipe, I used walnuts for the crust and topping. However, you could easily use another type of nut. Pecans, peanuts, cashews, they would probably all work really well.

As for the nut butter, any kind would work. I used chocolate soy nut butter this time. In order for it to turn out identical, you'll need the type of nut butter that is actually creamy. Usually these are the types with added oil, salt, and sugar. It's a dessert; trust me, it's okay every once in awhile. If you can't bring yourself to use a jar of creamy nut butter, you can use the old-fashioned kind. However, be prepared to add additional coconut oil, agave, and almond milk. Prepare as instructed, but if it doesn't mix well into a thick pudding texture, add 1 tablespoon of each of these ingredients until you get that consistency. And because I haven't tried doing such a thing myself, I cannot guarantee that that will actually produce a similar result! 



On a side note, these absolutely gorgeous Robin's Egg Blue dishes were purchased at a local antique/farmhouse swag store called Revived Furniture. You can even order them online if you want!

And on that note, it's recipe time...

NO BAKE NUT BUTTER PIE

Ingredients
For crust:
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons agave nectar

For filling:
1 16-ounce container of creamy nut butter (see note below)
1/3 cup organic refined coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk

Directions
Note: Remember that you need to use actually creamy nut butter in order for your pie to be 100% the same as mine. Not all creamy nut butters have the same oil or sugar content, though, so be sure to taste test and keep an eye out for consistency after you combine the ingredients. In the photos above I used chocolate soy nut butter. The result was a rich chocolate pie!

To begin, assemble your crust. Combine the walnuts, oats, and salt in a food processor. Pulse or puree until fine and crumbly. Add the agave nectar and pulse until the stuff begins to clump together. Transfer to a springform pan. Press the crust into the bottom of the pan with your fingers.

To make the filling, combine the ingredients in the food processor. Puree until thoroughly mixed. The texture will resemble a thick pudding. It should move when you tilt the basket around but should not be soupy. Taste test! If it isn't sweet enough, consider adding a few more tablespoons of agave and trying it again. If it's too thick, consider adding 1 tablespoon each of agave, coconut oil, and almond milk until the thick pudding consistency is reached.

When ready, pour the filling into the springform pan. If desired, top with crushed nuts. I added some more walnuts to mine.

Let set in the freezer for 2 hours before serving. What's great about this pie is that you don't have to thaw it before consuming. Remove from freezer, cut, and eat! Store uneaten pie in the freezer, covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container.

Makes 8-10 servings, depending on size.

What a perfect recipe for summer, don't you think? If you try it out, be sure to come back and tell me what you think! I would love to hear about your experiences!

No comments: